K-5 Science Endorsement
The K-5 Science Endorsement consists of the equivalent of three courses and an authentic residency/field experience when combined totals 200 contact hours. Up to fifty percent of the class can be face to face and up to 50% online. The endorsement provides candidates with the opportunity to increase their science content and pedagogical knowledge appropriate to K-5 teaching. The coursework is equivalent to graduate-level college courses.
The authentic residency or field experience/internship is an ongoing component of the K-5 science endorsement providing candidates with an opportunity to be immersed in observing and teaching students at the K-2, 3-5 and/or 6-8 levels. Candidates submit a portfolio of artifacts based on their experiences at the end of the endorsement.
The K-5 Science Endorsement is composed of the following courses:
Length of Class
|Course 1: Introduction to Science Practices||
50 hours/5 PLU
|Course 2: Intersection of Content, Practices, & Crosscutting Concepts||
60 hours/6 PLU
|Course 3: Application of Content, Practices, & Crosscutting Concepts||
60 hours/6 PLU
30 hours/3 PLU
|Embedded in courses|
The following ideals are embedded in the course series:
- All courses integrate science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts and disciplinary core ideas in science.
- All courses embed the use of the science practices, safety, applications to “real world”, and integrating among science disciplines and other subject areas including mathematics and literacy
- The courses will emphasize the K-5 PSC Science Endorsement rules (2015), A Framework for K-12 Science Education (2011) and the Georgia Performance Standards (GPS)
Candidates will complete the following Culminating Assessments during the coursework:
- Differentiated Science Unit – During course 1, candidates will develop a plan to assess students and determine how to differentiate based on interest, learning style and/or ability.
- Integrating Science Unit – During course 2, candidates will focus on integrating literature, social studies, and mathematics with science lessons and will include an incorporating technology component.
- Learning Progressions/Vertical Alignment Project (K-2, 3-5, 6-8) –During Course 2, candidates will work collaboratively to develop lessons at the K-2 and 3-5 levels.
- STEM Lessons –During Course 3, candidates will develop lessons that integrate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
CONTACT YOUR SCHOOL SYSTEM’S PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OFFICE OR CONTENT AREA COORDINATOR FOR FURTHER INFORMATION REGARDING THE AVAILABILITY OF ENDORSEMENT PROGRAMS.
STEM Endorsement classes will consist of K-12 teachers who teach a variety of STEM fields. There will be opportunities to differentiate the tasks across K-12 grade levels and STEM disciplines. Attention will be paid to the vertical alignment of the standards presented.
The Metro RESA SST Endorsement is an endorsement for Georgia teachers. Candidates explore the history and foundations of the RTI/MTSS, the problem-solving model, and develop plans for a successful implementation.
Each course is designed to strengthen participant knowledge, skill set, and disposition toward online teaching. As participants transition through the courses, they will experience a gradual release toward proficiency for online teaching and learning.
The Dyslexia Endorsement at Metro RESA is a GaPSC approved preparation program that provides approved candidates with the coursework and related field experience required to add the Dyslexia Endorsement to a current standard Georgia Professional Certificate.
The Metro RESA ESOL Endorsement prepares educators to demonstrate competency in addressing the instructional, language, and cultural needs of students whose first language is not English in the Georgia Public Schools.
Metro RESA offers a PSC approved Gifted In-Field Endorsement designed to train Candidates to identify and teach gifted students from a variety of cultural, linguistic, and economic backgrounds. This program ensures that its graduates have in-depth knowledge of teaching the gifted and talented students.
The Metro RESA K-5 Mathematics Endorsement is designed to strengthen and enhance teacher pedagogical and content knowledge in mathematics. The endorsement provides candidates the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of K – 5 mathematics content and beyond.
Metro RESA offers a PSC approved add-on Reading Endorsement. The Metro RESA Reading Endorsement prepares educators to demonstrate competency at assessing students literacy needs and planning appropriate for the needs of students in Georgia Public School classrooms.
Metro RESA offers a PSC approved Teacher Leader Endorsement. The Teacher Leader Endorsement requires candidates to acquire the knowledge and demonstrate the ability to promote the success of all students.
The K-5 Science Endorsement consists of the equivalent of three courses and an authentic residency/field experience when combined totals 200 contact hours. Up to fifty percent of the class can be face to face and up to 50% online.